Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna

Australian citizens - Consular services and travelling abroad


For urgent consular assistance to Australian citizens, please call +687 27 24 14 and, after hours, follow the prompts to be connected to the 24/7 Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra (direct number in Australia 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas).


The Australian Consulate-General in Noumea provides a range of consular services to Australian citizens in New Caledonia and in Wallis-and-Futuna.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) sets out the standard of service in the Consular Services Charter. The Charter signifies DFAT's commitment to providing effective, prompt and courteous consular services, delivered in an equitable way, to all Australians in need as well as clarifying the limits to consular services.

Outside of consular, passport and notarial services, which are provided by the Australian Consulate-General, we are unable to provide further information than is outlined below. Please also note the Australian Consulate-General does not manage enquiries relating to visas or entry-exit requirements to AustraliaNew Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada and we are unable to escalate applications or issues with the authorities in Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada.



Smartraveller has the latest, authoritative travel advice so you can be informed and prepared about overseas travel. Subscribe to receive travel advice updates - by simply supplying your name and email address – straight to your inbox.

You can also subscribe to SMS services - by supplying your mobile number – to receive critical alerts in the event of a crisis overseas.

In a crisis, Smartraveller will activate a crisis page on its website. It will make it easier for you or someone you know to contact the Australian Government if you need help. It will supplement the consular emergency hotline.

Visit  or connect with Smartraveller on Facebook and Twitter.  Subscribe to Smartraveller for updates, check the latest travel advice and take out travel insurance.

Check out travel recommendations on Smartraveller under What you need to know before you go | Smartraveller. Check out also the travel advice for New Caledonia as well as recommendations for travelling by boat or going on a cruise and other Smartraveller recommendations applicable to your circumstances. Download also the Smartraveller Before you go - The Basics - Checklist.

Before you book your travel, check regulations as applicable to your circumstances

It is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline or vessel operator you are travelling with and of countries you are travelling to or transiting through.

You are responsible for checking requirements applicable to your circumstances regarding visas, entry permits and exemptions, quarantine (possibly at your own expense), mandatory health and other declarations, COVID-19 testing and vaccination, use of face masks, as well as insurance to cover your specific travel, condition and circumstances. Also check the safety and COVID-19 plans applied by the airline or cruise company you intend travelling with and ensure you meet their requirements. If you need information or assistance, please contact your airline, cruise line, travel provider or employer and the relevant competent authorities in Australia, New Caledonia and in Wallis-and-Futuna directly.

Information for international travellers to and from Australia is also available on the website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs at Entering Australia ( and Before and after you leave Australia (

Comprehensive travel insurance

If you’re leaving Australia, travel insurance is just as essential as a passport. Without it, you or your family could suffer financially if things go wrong. Ensure your travel insurance (check the CHOICE travel insurance buying guide) covers you for the places you’ll visit, the things you’ll do and any pre-existing medical conditions you have. Some destinations may also require travellers to hold travel insurance as a condition of entry. No matter who you are, where you're going and what you're doing, get insurance as the Australian Government will not pay your medical costs or your medical evacuation costs.

Foreign visas

Regarding foreign visa enquiries, please note every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. Foreign governments often require you to get a visa before they let you enter. Make sure you meet all entry and exit conditions. Check with the nearest embassy, consulate or immigration department of the destination you're entering. If you don't meet the conditions, the Australian Government can't help you.

For information on French visas, stays and work permits, and travel conditions for New Caledonia and Wallis-and-Futuna, please check the information available at Visas and travel conditions for New Caledonia and Wallis-and-Futuna ( and contact relevant authorities directly.

If you have any questions or concerns around your planned travel to New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, contact your airline including Aircalin or Qantas, cruise line, travel provider or employer for help and to check regulations applicable to your circumstances. Check also with your airline including Aircalin or Qantas, or cruise line on their boarding conditions and on regulations applicable to travel by minors, including those unaccompanied.



Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. DFAT’s privacy policy, the Consular Service Charter and the Consular Privacy Collection Statement are available on line. Personal Information may be used by us to provide consular assistance.



If you need immediate assistance, you can call the Consular Emergency Centre, 24 hours a day, on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 from within Australia.

 Australian Consulate-General, Noumea: phone +687 27 24 14 (follow the prompts) – consular assistance email: [email protected]. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm (except public holidays).

Phone directories, including list of phone numbers for emergencies and assistance in New Caledonia (OPT NC) and in Wallis-and-Futuna (SPT WF).

Please also check the Consular Notarial and Passports Services - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).