Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna

Cyclone season: are you ready?


For consular assistance to Australians and Canadians and to citizens of Nauru and Papua New Guinea, please call +687 27 24 14 (after hours, follow the prompts to be connected to the 24/7 Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra, also contactable outside our office hours, in Australia on 1300 555 135 or from overseas on +61 2 6261 3305).

Canadian citizens can also alternatively contact the 24/7 Canadian Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa (email: [email protected] – phone: +1 613 996 8885 with call collect accepted where available).



Australians and Canadians living in the French Pacific, are you prepared for the cyclone season?

The cyclone season in the Pacific is usually between October and May, but cyclones can occur at other times. Even small tropical storms can develop into major cyclones causing extreme damage to infrastructure. This can cut off communications and access to transportation, emergency assistance, medical care, and food and water.

The French Pacific can also be affected by adverse weather and cyclones.

The “climate and natural disasters” section of the Australian travel advice for New Caledonia contains information on the local cyclone warning system as well as links to the websites (in French) of local authorities. Subscribe for advice updates on Smartraveller. Smartraveller, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology and the Queensland Government have advice in English about preparing your home for cyclone season.

For Canadian citizens, please also consult the Canadian travel advice for New Caledonia, register your details on the Canadian consular registrar and follow the Canadian recommendations on tropical cyclones.

Be cyclone aware and ready!


Please note the Australian Consulate-General does not manage enquiries relating to visas, immigration-citizenship or entry-exit requirements to AustraliaNew Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada and we are unable to escalate applications or issues with the authorities in Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada.